Departments

Fire & Rescue - Safety Tips - Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

As the weather turns colder, the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) urges consumers to have a professional inspection of all fuel-burning appliances - including furnaces, stoves, fireplaces, clothes dryers, water heaters and space heaters - to detect deadly carbon monoxide (CO) leaks.

Under certain conditions, these appliances can produce deadly CO. However, with proper installations and maintenance they are safe to use. An annual inspection and service is the first line of defense against this silent killer. CO is a colorless, odorless gas produced by burning any fuel. The initial symptoms of CO poisoning are similar to flu, and include headache, fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea and dizziness. Exposure to high levels of CO can cause death.

"Each year, CO poisoning associated with using fuel-burning appliances kills about 200 people," said CPSC Chairman Ann Brown. "Having this inspection performed could prevent a terrible tragedy."

The CPSC recommends that the yearly professional inspection include checking chimneys, flues, and vents for leakage and blockage by debris. In addition, have al vents to furnaces, water heaters, boilers and other fuel-burning appliances checked to make sure they are not loose or disconnected.

Have your appliances inspected for gas leaks and adequate ventilation. The CPSC also recommends that every home should have at least on CO alarm.


[Back to Fire Safety Tips]

Fire Department Administration
1742 Schneider St NE
Canton, Ohio 44721

Monday-Friday
8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Non-Emergency & Business:
(330) 492-4089

Emergency:
(911) or (330) 492-2411

EMS Billing Questions:
firedept@plaintownship.com

Contact Information

  Get Directions